Thursday 4 February 2021

Lydstep Head

The east end of Lydstep Head

Back on the limestone, surveying cotoneaster. It hasn't yet wiped-out the Southbya tophacea on the north side of Lydstep Head, but the otherwise great habitat is plastered in the stuff, and with some holm oak thrown in for good measure.

The east-facing slope is nice and open and exposed (so much so that my specimen box was wrenched from my hand and went over the edge). At least I found some Gymnostomum viridulum and pockets of Funaria pulchella in a few places whilst trying to retrieve it. I confirmed Bryum torquescens from rocks around the point (suspected by Sam Bosanquet, but not previously found fertile). Better still was a small amount of Bryum kunzei in a seemingly typical ridge-top location. In even smaller quantity on a path was a Weissia with unripe capsules which I suspect will be W. levieri, but I'm having to try growing it on in the hope that the ripened capsule will shed its lid, unlike W. angustifolia or longifolia.

Maybe Weissia levieri


No comments:

Post a Comment